The Romanian government offers scholarships to students from countries outside the European Union. These scholarships are provided for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. Candidates have a wide range of study options available in various fields, except for medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy. The deadline for applications is March 16, 2024.
Bachelor’s and Master’s programs are conducted in Romanian. For candidates who are not proficient in the Romanian language, a preparatory year is offered to learn the language before starting university studies. However, at the doctoral level, candidates can choose programs taught in English or another language, depending on the requirements of the doctoral school.
Romania is a country situated at the intersection of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe. It is the sixth most populous country in the European Union and the eighth largest in terms of land area. As of 2022, the population is approximately 19 million. Romanian universities are well-regarded across Europe and beyond. They accommodate more than 29,100 international students.
Application Deadline: March 16, 2024.
Academic Levels: Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate.
Funding: Fully covered.
Host Country: Romania.
Eligible Countries: Citizens from all non-European Union countries.
Students who receive the Romanian government scholarships are entitled to a range of benefits that apply throughout their academic journey, including language courses. These benefits include:
- Exemption from registration fees and other related expenses, such as Romanian language proficiency tests, admission contests for doctoral studies, and specific aptitude tests.
- Financing of tuition fees for the preparatory year in Romanian language and for the actual studies, in accordance with the duration of the corresponding university program.
- Provision of a monthly allowance for students enrolled in the preparatory year in Romanian language, as well as for students enrolled in Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate studies, covering the entire duration of their chosen program.
- Financial support for accommodation expenses in student dormitories.
- Medical assistance in case of medical emergencies and diseases with endemic or epidemic potential.
- Access to local public transportation, including ground, naval, and underground options, as well as domestic car, train, and boat transportation, under the same conditions as those offered to Romanian students.
- Exemption from study visa fees.
Who is Eligible to Apply for the Romanian Government Scholarship?
The Romanian Government Scholarship is open to foreign nationals hailing from non-European Union countries, with the exception of the following categories:
- Romanian nationals.
- Refugees residing in Romania.
- Stateless individuals who have been officially recognized as residents of Romania.
- Diplomatic, consular, administrative, and technical personnel with accreditation in Romania.
- Personnel affiliated with international organizations headquartered in Romania.
Furthermore, applicants must possess a minimum average grade of “Good” (14/20 or B) for their academic years of study.
Available Study Levels
Prospective applicants have the opportunity to select from among three study levels provided by accredited higher education institutions in Romania:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Designed for individuals who have completed their secondary education, the comprehensive program spans a duration of 3 to 6 years, depending on the chosen field of specialization.
- Master’s Degree: Tailored for undergraduate students, master’s programs typically last for one year, one and a half years, or two years, depending on the specific program.
- Doctorate: Geared towards students who have obtained a master’s degree, doctoral programs extend over a period of 3 to 5 years, contingent upon the chosen faculty profile.
Compilation of Romanian Universities
The exhaustive compilation of Romanian institutions of higher education can be accessed through the official link provided: https://studyinromania.gov.ro/universities.
Procedure for Applying to the Romanian Government Scholarship
Applicants interested in pursuing the Romanian Government Scholarship are required to submit their applications through the designated platform at https://studyinromania.gov.ro. The platform supports both English and French languages.
Please find below the necessary documentation for the completion of your application. In the event that the documents are not in English, French, Spanish, or Romanian, they must be accompanied by a translation in one of these languages:
• Certified copies of attained diplomas. If you are currently enrolled in a study program and have not yet received your diploma, please upload a certificate indicating that you are in the final year of studies instead of the diploma.
• Certified copies of academic transcripts for completed studies.
• Copy of the birth certificate (or a document of equivalent nature).
• Copy of the first three pages of your passport or residence permit. If you do not possess a passport, you may use a valid national identity card at this stage.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) in either English or French.
• In the case of candidates under 18 years of age, a notarized declaration of parental consent is required.
• For the doctoral cycle only: a letter of intent, which should include a list of scientific works, specialized publications, a detailed description of the proposed research project, and the approval of a supervisor who must be a member of the chosen association.
The deadline for submitting your application for the Romanian Government Scholarship is March 16, 2024. The results of the selection process will be communicated via email to all applicants on July 15, 2024.